2013 Saab Commander Quiz Combat
In 2013 Saab Thailand announced a Quiz Combat where combatants could win a full day at Defense & Security 2013, fly the Gripen fighter jet simulator and take away Saab merchandise.
It was an opportunity to Thailand’s defense enthusiasts to become a “Saab Commander” by proving their mettle by seeking honors at three different levels: ‘Level Amateur’, ‘Level Professional’ and ultimately ‘Level Ace’.
I was staying in Maui for a year of sea turtle research snorkeling or scuba diving as we tracked green sea turtles. This is how I met Lila Yi, who was coincidentally working in Napili as a model for one of Saab's international corporate divisions. They were doing late afternoon photo shoots on the Napili beach and she invited me to attend. I was struck at how perfect her hair looked even though she had been diving all afternoon. Turns out she was wearing a wig for the shoot. Duh!.
Knowing nothing about wigs, I was stunned how natural wig looked and in a chat with her later learned that she was a fan of Raquel Welch wigs from an online vendor that specializes in wigs. She had several with her and showed me how the cpas were constructed. I didn't realize there were so many different caps constructions ranging from standard caps to monofilament tops/crowns/part line caps which could have a 100% hand tied lace front or none. Two of the wigs had wefted sides and back. One of the wigs had a 100% hand tied side and backs. All the caps had eat tabs that had metal stays that could bend and all had some type of strap that could tighten the circumference of the cap. She encouraged me to try one on after she added an ultra thin hygienic liner and had me put up my hair holding it in place with a headband cap. Then she helped me put on the actual wig. I was suddenly transformed. The style I chose was called Down Time, a lusciously long style with flowing, gently waved layers. The Kanekalon Vibralite synthetic hair fibers really did mimic the look and feel of protein rich soft and silky, natural hair. The color was Shaded golden wheat that had dark roots with dark blondes evenly blended and pale blonde high lights. Folks, it was stunning!! I have a photo of me in that Raquel Welch wig that makes me look so glamorous. I don't know if I will be buying a wig anytime soon, but it was fun trying them on.
During the evenings at the condo rental, all my friends would play the Saab Commander game hoping to win the big prize, but happy if they just won some Saab merchandise. I would occasionally take the Quiz Combat, but I usually had work to do. After a full day out in the field I had pictures to process on my computer and field reports to write. Just a note: several of my friends did win some Saab merchandise.
11 November 2013
Three Thai contestants won the Saab Commander contest and flew the Gripen Fighter Simulator at the Defense & Security 2013
On the occasion of “Defense & Security 2013”, Defense and security company Saab’s Quiz Combat saw enthusiastic participation of over 5000 visitors, 3000 contestants from 72 cities, towns and townships in Thailand.
The Quiz Combat tested contenders’ knowledge of the options available on the battlefield. The battlefield sits on http://www.saabcommander.com. So far, the contest has produced over 75 winners.
Winners chosen by a computerised draw from all-correct answers have won merchandise that ranges from Saab memorabilia to Gripen mementos and a host of other limited edition material.
Three Thai contestants won a flight in the Gripen Fighter simulator.
These contestants were selected from the pool of winners in the ‘Level Professional’ and ‘Level Ace’ and have been invited to the Defence & Security 2013 and given the rare opportunity to fly the Gripen simulator.
“The Saab Commander contest for the Thai people has received very enthusiastic participation from across Thailand and we have today a very strong community of people who have become aware of complex technologies and have a good appreciation of the history of Swedish military technologies. I congratulate all the winners for taking part and answering some tough questions,” says Dan Enstedt, President & CEO, Saab AsiaPacific.
I'm sure the resurrection of at least this page of the original site brings back great memories for a lot of people. Too bad you can't take the Quiz Combat, but it wasn't showing in the site's 2013 archived pages.
The Quiz Combat tested contender’s knowledge of the options available on the battlefield. The Quiz Combat will rank all those who pass the test by their level of all rounded excellence on the field.
The battlefield was on this website.
Game Rulesâ€‹ Instructions
- There are five questions in the level.
- Every question has one correct answer. You need to answer all the questions and submit your answer.
- If you get all answers correct, you will be declared a winner for this level.
- You can play each level only once a day.
- There is a pool of prizes to be won across levels. Contestants will be eligible for only ONE prize in each level.
- Winners will be announced periodically on saabcommander.com winners’ page as well as on Saab Indonesia Facebook page. Winners will also be notified through email.
- Your email address must be correct. No request for subsequent changes will be entertained
Terms of Usage
The participant (you) must be a citizen and resident of Thailand in order to be eligible to win the contest and receive a prize . However, non-citizens and non-residents of Thailand are free to participate.
If you do not agree to any of the Terms you should not use this service.
CHANGES TO THE TERMS
saabcommander.com reserves the right to discontinue, change and/or modify the service, features or Terms or Game Terms at any time, without any notice. You are responsible to regularly check/ review the Game Terms for changes, if any and your continued use of the website, its contents and/ or the game would be a deemed acknowledgement of your acceptance of such revised Game Terms.
For the purposes of this game, the Game Terms shall prevail over any other general terms specified on this website.
saabcommander.com provides hypertext links to sites on the Internet, which are owned or operated by third parties. These are provided for your convenience and saabcommander.com is not responsible for and has no control over such other sites. Using an external hypertext link means that you may be leaving the site and saabcommander.com therefore takes no responsibility for and gives no warranties, guarantees or representations in respect of such linked third party websites. By linking to such third-party site, you shall review and agree to that site's rules of use before using such site. You also agree that saabcommander.com is not responsible for the privacy policies or procedures or the content of such third party websites and cannot assume any responsibility for material created or published by such third-party sites. In addition, a link to a non- saabcommander.com site does not imply that saabcommander.com endorses the site or the products or services referenced in such third party site.
The participation in the game and any disputes arising there from shall be governed by the laws of Thailand, without giving effect to conflict of laws provisions. The courts of Bangkok, Thailand have exclusive jurisdiction over all disputes relating to or arising from the execution or performance of this agreement. In all judicial actions, arbitrations, or dispute resolution methods, the parties waive any punitive damages.
Your right to participate in the game automatically terminates if you violate Terms or Game Terms or any rules or guidelines posted in connection with the website. saabcommander.com also reserves the right at its sole discretion to terminate your access to all or part of the website, for any reason with or without notice.
GENERAL USER RULES
1. You have to login with a verifiable Facebook identity with the correct age and gender. You have to be a citizen and resident of Thailand in order to be eligible for winning prizes in the game. However, non-citizens and non-residents of Thailand are free to participate.
2. You need to accept the Game Terms before you can play.
3. In the event your Facebook identity is not of a real person, your game play will be void.
4. There are five questions with four possible answers. You need to get all the answers correct in order to make it to a pool from which winners will be chosen through an automated system.
5. Not all set of correct answers will win a prize. Prizes will be awarded after an automated drawing of lots from the pool of qualifying entries.
6. You can play the game only once a week.
7. Your email address must be correct. No request for subsequent changes will be entertained.
8. There is a pool of prizes to be won in the game section out of which you are entitled to win a maximum of only ONE prize. The selection of the prize to be given will be at the sole discretion of the organizers.
9. Users may be banned or accounts suspended in the event of any abuse of Game Terms.
10. All winners of the simulators must be Thailand Passport holders with a valid passport and have complete security clearance. Any participant chosen may at any stage be removed from the winners list if there are any objections on any ground by concerned authorities.
11. The winners shall win prizes as intimated by e-mail by saabcommander.com. The selection of prizes is as per the sole discretion of saabcommander.com. E-mail notification does not guarantee entitlement to the prize or payment of any kind. You may be asked to furnish and / or submit other necessary documents and/or undertaking/ affidavits prior to award of prize.
12. saabcommander.com reserves the right to withdraw or cancel any or all of the prizes at any time.
13. The winner must claim his/ her prize within 15 days of the e-mail communication sent by saabcommander.com In case the prize is unclaimed by the winner within the stipulated period, then saabcommander.com reserves the right to transfer the prize to the next winner chosen. The right of the first winner shall automatically stand surrendered and he/ she shall not be entitled to make any claim whatsoever thereunder.
14. Additional eligibility requirements may apply to a specific contest.
15. saabcommander.com reserves the right:
(a) to disqualify any entrant at its sole discretion, without assigning any reason whatsoever;
(b) to decide whether a replacement contestant should be selected in the event any entrant is disqualified from the game;
16. saabcommander.com shall not be responsible for:-
(i) any e-mail message delivery failures;
(ii) for any spam generated messages;
(iii) any lost, late or misdirected computer transmission or network, electronic failures of any kind or any failure to receive entries owing to transmission failures or due to any technical reasons and
(iv) other conditions beyond its reasonable control.
17. The winner shall be responsible for any additional, incidental expenses required to be incurred to avail the prize. All taxes, insurances, transfers, spending money and other incidental and related expenses as the case may be, unless specifically stated, are the sole responsibility of the prize winner. The winner will be required to provide certified proof of identity and residence, if any.
18. Prizes are non-transferable, non-negotiable, subject to availability and there will be no cash alternative.
19. saabcommander.com will not be liable for any damage or loss of any nature whatsoever (including but not limited to indirect or consequential loss) and including any loss arising from personal injury or death, or loss of, or damage to property, which is suffered or sustained in connection with the contest or the prize, except to the extent that the liability cannot be excluded by law.
20. Employees of SAAB including its respective affiliates, subsidiaries, representatives, advertising, publicity and promotional agencies and their immediate families are not eligible to participate in the game.